Wednesday, November 25, 2015

Cold weather....Im Thankful

Finally ,we here in "Capital City" are getting what I would consider a cold deep fall weather. Watching the stories on the weather channel and online it seems that we will have a cold , wet winter here in the south. Thank you El NiƱo . My change in latitude has caused me to miss the beautiful colors of the fall in Georgia. But the trade off of having green trees all year is nice.

Cold weather is such a great sleep aide and wearing jammys and getting under the covers is just the best. As a single man I consider that laziness manifests itself in many ways and that bouts of said malady are acceptable. So did I note that with cold weather coming I should retrieve the comforter?
Neyt! So the temp is dropping and I am covered with only a summer blanket and a sheet. As the long night got colder I had to laugh. It's not the first time I've been under gunned in the blanket department.

I had a day and a night in Wyoming one long winters night. Winds of 30 mph and 7 below zero the truck I was delivering at the time was having trouble maintaining battery power and keeping me warm . At those temps the truck can't do both. Sometimes a machine requires compromise so in this case setting the thermostat very low was the deal. Again under gunned in the sleeping bag department I was freezing. By doubling over the bag and making layers I was able to create a narrow zone that was warm under the blanket. So it was a long night. Last night was not so bad. So much so, that while I was fluffing my thin blanket to get warmer I had to laugh.

 My warmth or lack of warmth is a laughable dark of night remembering which moves me to consider all those that have few choices. I can get up and turn on the heat or get another blanket. Many have no choice. I am very thankful.

No comments: