Tuesday, October 16, 2012

Northwest Passage

Heading to Oregon through Wyoming there is so much to see. On this day the clouds were threatening and up at 8000 feet it had snowed and it was still 34* .To get down mountains I had some serious inclines to go down and maintain a safe speed. So I put the gear selection down to 6th and put the "Jake" brake on. Then stabbing the brakes as needed...very safe but...concerning. The views of the valleys below are spectacular and vast....open spaces. Wyoming is beautiful and also very involved in energy production so late at night as you drive along the interstate you'll see these scary looking plants spewing gas fires and gleaming with lights and fire.

At one point on the 80 after the Platte river,I think, there is a huge singular mountain ...Elk Mountain. Truly a grandfather mountain . I am sure this was a scene of reverence by peoples long before . This beauty just stands out and makes you want to climb it...looks like you could...sort of a doable incline to it but previous similar views tells me that....I won't be climbing this big boy any time soon. There is a peaceful presence about this massive mountain and there is even an Elk Mountain City at the base.

After we get through Utah and Idaho we are well on our way to Oregon. I-84 takes us along the Columbia river. I called several people because I was so blown away by what I saw ( this river gorge is huge)...I could go on but the Columbia River Gorge area does not disappoint and then... there's more.You come around a turn and see Mt.Hood. Way up to the sky goes snow covered Mt.Hood and its just awe inspiring. There is so much to see in the northwest. Seems like everything is super-sized and beautiful. In the mid west I thought I saw lots of windmills. all along the rim of mountains above the river valley there are thousands of windmills just churning away with free air wind power.

Driving through Pennsylvania and Missouri ,Ohio, Indiana I wondered about the lesser degree that the Civil War is remembered as compared to my own Georgia.These states all had terrible loss of life during the War but ...they were never the scene of bloodshed or occupational They were not like Virginia or Georgia....saw nothing like Sherman's March.

As I've learned recently Texas was once part of Mexico. Now Texas fought and won its independence from Mexico but then somehow it submitted to statehood. Consequently Texas is just a little different. From my seat in the "big rig" I see many houses with the word Texas on the side of the house.??? Think about it ...would you put Florida or Georgia on the side of your house?  So, Texas is different for sure...but sizewise the Northwest seems to have a little less pr but much more eye impact.

No comments: