Thursday, September 6, 2012

Bear Lake

Carrying Pepperage Farms crackers we were routed through a corner of Utah that was as close to perfect as I have seen. Highway 89 from I-80 to Logan ,Utah goes by Bear lake and then through mountain passes and forests ....everything we don't have in Georgia...or Florida where I grew up.

I read a historical marker that referred to  the Lincoln Highway. Finished in 1913 this was an attempt to have a road go all the way across the USA.  Interstate 80 approximates the same route but in 1919 Ike did a cross country convoy on the Lincoln version and it is thought that part of his reason for recommending the interstate system...as it sounds like the old Lincoln Highway was not up to par.

So far there are a couple of places I plan to bring Kristin back to see. Flagstaff, the Bear Lake area, and the Wyoming ride, then the tunnels of Pa., Franklin,Pa., or farm lands in Missouri. This could be a challenge ....my sweety doesn't like to just ride much. We'll see.

A day or so later;

Just finished a big driving test. Next is a big general knowledge test...needs a good grade.

The group that is upgrade status have all been driving for 16K or more miles in a big rig and an instructor like me. There are more like 15 in the class and there seems to be some "I can do this" attitude in the room.

The only scary part of the drive test this am...an obstacle course. Stacked tires that form lanes you drive through and then back through into a slot.Must turn wide and watch your tandems....if you happen to hit a stack then you have an AF (automatic fail). I guess this company is tired of parking lot claims. The whole time you do the road test and the obstacle course...this guy is marking on a paper for My performance. One of the things I dislike is being told how to drive LOL...well I am being told...and learning to like it.

The rumor mill is much less busy with this group of students...they seem to know what they want to do next. Do they want to lease a tractor,get a dedicated run, be a company man, or sign on as relief and recovery? I plan to be an employee...hoping for a relief and recovery slot. This will allow some good money and some home time.And, I'll be an employee...which was my first goal....I wanted to get hired,trained,and have a big company pay me to travel. Funny how this has progressed.

No comments: