Monday, September 10, 2012

Air Travel

Flying home for a week.Such a treat. I really do enjoy airports because of the people. So, arriving at 9:00 am for a 11:45 flight seems like a treat to me. Plus , good coffee,wifi and some tunes on the Ipod all go to make my people watch just great. Now Salt Lake City airport is not what I am used to. When my daughter was young I would take her to the airport every couple of weeks for her flights to visit her mom. We would both go to the gate and sit and watch the people go by...free entertainment and I got to hang out with the cutest, most lovely daughter in the world.

Atlanta airport is a mad house. All kinds of people and lots of them.Salt Lake City airport is smaller, quieter , lets just say it....white. Well put together white middle class people all going about their business...no bedroom slippers, duck taped boxes, or screaming babies. Or, if the babies scream...their parents just nuzzle them sweetly and cheerfully. Salt Lake City is the most homogenized city I have ever seen and the most civilized. I loved the morning.

Later after we had landed in and taken off from Dallas I got on with the next part of my day. What this nation needs is a way to fly across at about 5000 feet. I just love seeing out the window but if the plane flew lower I could see more stuff. As it was when we were flying out of Dallas,Texas and I was looking down at the development after development of clean industry warehouses it looked like memory chips on a printed circuit board card. So high up you could not see the people but the irregular rectangular shapes were all connected and you knew work was progressing within.

The plane was a loser financially for American Airlines. Only about half to a third full, everyone could have a window seat and the stewardesses were not pushed for time. I treated myself and asked for bourbon to have while I stared out the window. She brought the Jack Daniels which was nice but not as refined as some of the bourbon I have been getting used to over the years. Lovely though, to sit and watch the good ole USA go by while sipping some fine elixir. Worth noting that I was never asked to pay...I know this because I was wondering just how much my first drink in 50 days would cost. Whatever the cost I knew it would be a value, Free is Great.

I had noticed the weather news for the SE USA and was expecting to see some cloud activity. But the cloud show I got was spectacular. When we are in school we talk about all the different clouds types. Cumulus,frontal high cirrus...but we learn about them as if they are isolated events. On my flight into the SE...I saw them all. As the  sun was going down and we were traveling East the light shoe in the high cirrus clouds was beautiful. Then off in  the distance the r4ising high cumulus nimbus clouds had a lightning show sort of in  the background. Then right below the airplane lower frontal clouds were sort of looking like isobars as they bunched up closer on each other. I was very entertained.

The clouds are all progressing in their own way all at the same time . We seem to be the same, we are not isolated...we put on a show just as spectacular each progressing in our own way. Each with our own lightning, our own color reflecting our own light as it shines.And, the closer we get to each other..the more we can appreciate each of our own shows.

3 comments:

Kathryn said...

Great blog. Have some better bourbon at our house!

Unknown said...

I have enjoyed all of your posts and found your experiences to be a great read. Not a good book yet but entertaining.
The flight home, did you graduate or did you come up $50 short?
I've seen the windmill blades, what a wonder. I wonder where they are going,wonder if they will work and wonder who paid for them?

Unknown said...

Great narrative, enjoyed the ride! Did you pass or did you come up $50 short?
It is a beautiful country!
I've seen the windmill blades traveling down the highways. What a wonder. I wonder where they are going, wonder if they will work and wonder who paid for them!
A great read Buster, not a book yet but almost.