Sunday, August 19, 2012

In Dennys

Its not even my birthday and here I am sitting in a Denny's located in Ogden,UT. I have just had some passable pot roast and they are happy to have me sit for a while and get caught up.

What needs to happen is all electrical devices need to be recharged. and, I need to be recharged. My ipod, my phone, and my laptop all need more current. Me, I need to see just what all my loved ones are doing. Thanks to Facebook and email I can see just sort of good thoughts everyone else is sharing. It really helps to see and read ...good for my batteries.

My trip started in a place about 80 miles north of Ogden and we headed south to Laredo and then up to St.Louis and now back to Ogden. It is good for me to run ( that's what they call it...but looking around at the truckers not much running going on) as many miles as possible. As I drive my trainer watches and comments on all details. It can be quite humbling as the details are endless and my young trainer is merciless. A nice young man but he demands excellence.

There is a scene in "Lonesome Dove " where Augustus is being chased by a band of bad guys, he is outnumbered . He shoots his horse near a wash ( cowboy talk) and uses the horse as cover while he fights off the bad guys. Well ....I saw all kinds of open range that could have been used for that same scene. Seeing these places just takes me away. Parts of this ride I am on are just beautiful.I see all kinds of places that I have only read about, seen movies about, or seen paintings of. West Texas is harsh...and then you see a spot and maybe I get it. Laredo is like a place that never had any zoning committee meetings. And few spots equal the view from our back deck in Grayson,Ga ...I am sure of that.

Something I feel a need to comment on is the beauty of our farms. Mile after mile of corn, soy beans, cattle, sheep, horses, and farm implements. This land of ours is booming. I know there is 8.25% unemployment but the other 91.75% are working very hard and producing in abundance. There are trucks carrying all kinds of huge heavy machined parts, windmill blades that are so long , farm combines, massive machined metal thingies. This country is working and building......all kinds of things. One of the most surprising things to me is the huge windmills. As I said before the blades are super long, and the base tubes that hold them up are so much larger then I ever imagined. And, you can drive and drive for a very long time and all the while there are more and more of them....a wonder to me.



1 comment:

TinCanMan said...

Have enjoyed reading your posts. I'm twice retired now, but a very long time ago, I worked in Ogden, Utah courtesy of the military and my daughter was born there. Had a chance to do a lot of traveling through the west. I'm sure much has changed since then but I recognize much of it again from your descriptions. Safe traveling.