Sunday, August 12, 2012

A Sort of Desparation

There is a schedule here at CR England training center . A trainee comes in on a Sunday and 16 days later , if all the tests are passed they have a CDL Class A drivers license. In that process they have learned many things but the most important result is the license. Then for the next 30 days the idea is for the trainee to drive 30,000 miles with an experienced driver who will help the trainee learn all the different processes that must be accomplished to ship a truck-load of usually frozen food from one part of the country to another. Currently, this company has 7000 drivers and there is a steady turnover of truck drivers so the company creates their own flow of new drivers by running at least three schools.

There is an interesting mix of people that come through this center that I am in. I have met and talked to some very smart intelligent people... . I have been guilty of judging some as they struggle with their testing...paper testing. Then as we worked on backing a big rig or parallel parking a big rig some of those folks that had paper test problems ...just breezed right through the driving tests. Myself, I got 100% on most of the multiple choice tests...but I had to retake the backing test as I failed the first one miserably. SO, I am learning Not to judge. ( will I ever learn)

Unemployment in the USA is high. There are plenty of trucking jobs. But you need to get a class A CDL and you usually need experience. This company offers a way to get a job that can pay much more than just a living wage. As I look around at the new trainees that arrived this afternoon ( its is Sunday) I finally realize what is the common denominator ( and I am not judging) and it is a certain desperation. Many young black men are getting a chance to become employed when their demographic is beset with 30% unemployment. My white 60 year old grouping is coming for many reasons similar to my own. It is hard to get hired at my age , in this economy, and we have a chance to get trained in something new. There is a desperation that you can see; some of the young guys have mentioned their dental issues ( broken molars, pain when eating, needing some relief), some have not had enough money to feed themselves , and one kid didn't have the fifty dollars needed for the first set of CDL tests that were well advertised as requiring that money. They sent him home.

My progress has been good. The very busy days of 6AM to 9PM with much to do and learn were good. I liked the learning and accomplishment feels good. I have had a couple of emotional downturns when we get into the slack periods (no other way to say it I get lonely for my family when I am stuck in nowhere) And, my first trainer was a real pain...in many ways so I declined to ride with him anymore. This will cause some delay for me but my brain was saying to get away from this guy...so I did.

The better part of me got me out of this center twice this weekend to go and see Salt Lake City. SLC is really beautiful and clean with a cool light rail system that has a simple transfer process to a bus system all well done and great disability modifications and bike accommodation...very well done.  The diversity is shocking...there really is NONE....some hispanics...but nothing like the ATL.

So the real reason for going downtown was to see the Temple Square. The buildings ,  the history of their struggle, the organization, and the fine people offering to help you ..its all just grand. I will admit that I got a stepford vibe ( judging again dammit) from the docents that I listened too as they spoke to small groups. If you want to be told what to think...this is the place..

2 comments:

docdocwhosthere said...

Wes, it's so good to read your blog here. Glad you're writing and progressing! --- Mary Bois-Byrne

Mary Bois-Byrne said...

Wes, so glad you're blogging this and progressing well. --- Mary